Join us for the largest Maker Faire in the DC metropolitan area!!
This family-friendly event showcases the amazing work of all kinds of makers across the greater DC area and beyond—anyone who is embracing the DIY or DIT (do-it-together!) spirit and wants to share their accomplishments with an appreciative audience. We are especially interested in exhibits that are interactive or highlight the process of making things.
Be sure to keep these important dates in mind as we gear up for the big event:
- July 25, 2016: Proposals due for Early Bird acceptance to the Faire
- July 29, 2016: Early Bird notifications to Makers
- September 2, 2016: Proposals due
- September 6, 2016: Final Maker acceptance notifications
The first step to participate in Maker Faire Silver Spring is to submit an entry that tells us about your project. Entries can be submitted from individuals as well as from groups such as hobbyist clubs and schools. We particularly encourage exhibits that are interactive and highlight the process of making things. Please upload a photo or video with your application to illustrate your project.
You can apply as:
- Maker (an individual maker; not affiliated with an organization of any type) FEE $0
- Young Maker (individuals under age 18 or a club comprised wholly of students under age 18) FEE $0
- Independent Seller (individuals who would like to sell or promote their own products/services) FEE $200
- Non-profit Organization (registered 501c3 non-profit organization) FEE $200
- Startup (company with 3-10 employees, less than 3 years old) FEE $200
- Company (more than 10 employees or more than 4 years old). Company participation is for sponsoring organizations. See sponsor benefits at 2016 Sponsor Package
Filters and criteria for selection may include:
- Maker-themed: Talking about, showing or demonstrating something you made.
- Doable: Deliverable at a high quality within the constraints of time and resources available on our stage.
- Accessible: Engaging, inclusive, understandable to the audience (manner of delivery, academic level of content and logistics).
- Relevant: Addressing important and timely issues of both today and the future.
- Appropriate: Maker Faire Silver Spring is a family-friendly celebration and therefore all materials and activities must be appropriate for a family audience.
- Wow! Fun, exciting, cool, clever, experiential, and conveying the sense of awe and wonder that is at the heart of discovery and achievement.
Here are some suggested ideas for topics that we’re looking for:
- Kinetic & Installation Art
- Music Performance
- Hacks of Any Sort
- Workshops and Speakers
- 3D Printers & Digital Fabrication
- Textile Arts and Crafts
- Student Projects
- Rockets and RC Toys
- Green Tech
- Radios, Vintage Computers and Game Systems
- Electric Vehicles
- Biology/Biotech and Chemistry Projects
- Bicycles and Human-Powered Machines
- Unusual Tools or Machines
- Virtual Reality/Augmented Reality Apps
- How to Fix Things or Take them Apart (Vacuums, Clocks, Washing Machines, etc.)
Maker Exhibit Space: Our standard setup for a Maker exhibit is a 10′x10′ space.
Questions: If you have any questions about participating in Maker Faire Silver Spring, please contact us by email at firstname.lastname@example.org.